Tuesday, February 27, 2007

How Stupid we get.

My mother just called and told me she needed help with a math question. I used to be a Pure Math Major so I get this all the time. I'm mentally prepping myself while she tells me the question. I'm expecting something really hard with like, matrices and unknowns and a big geological equation but instead, she asks me a question any elementary student could answer. The question went as follows: If I have one area in Km and the other in meters, do I have to convert the meters to KM? I said of course, then she complained that then the number would be so small. I then hit my forehead with my hand because of my mothers stupidity. She continues to explain the problem and it turns out the measurement in meters is actually width. She isn't doing an area problem at all, it is in fact a volume problem. I told her that in grade 2 we all learn that when doing math, we must use the same units for all measurements and that the area for volume is longeur x largeur x hauteur and that I couldn't remember what is was in English. So much for a bilingual education. And so much for my mothers elementary education.

A Side note: My friend (Molly Fucking Swain) just got the sweetest job ever. I am eagerly awaiting her call so that we might discuss. By discuss I really mean scream and jump and probably wave my hands a lot so as to not smudge my non existent mascara with my tears of joy.

No comments: