Thursday, September 25, 2008

City Tunes

I'm lazy. This is a fact. My laziness is encouraged and duplicated by the people I live with and who sit on our proch. That is why it often takes a massive effort to get up and take advantage of the amazing city we live in. Ok, I'll admit, we're pretty good at going to 7-11 and the LCBO but only because we have secret shortcuts. That said, a grand effort was put in last night to walk the darkened streets of Toronto and see some friends bands and have some good times. As per usual, the benefits where greater then the cost.

Luckily, I live right by College and Spadina which puts almost everything i've ever wanted within walking distance. Technically, everything is within walking distance if you have the time, but lets be realistic here people. I walk to school and work everyday and my bum is a lot more equipped to be on the ground then my feet but that just comes back round to the aforementioned laziness. Anyways, we went to some shows, kicked out some jams and came home to make ravioli and talk about how great music is. I would like to thank the following to bands for making this double headed night possible:

Great Lenin's Ghost - Meet them last year while doing a student CD project at school. They graduated but that doesn't mean that they stopped making sweet electro pop beats that all the pretty ladies can loose their shit to. They played at Rancho Relaxo which is an awesome little bar that can be filled to the brim with all your amigos to support kick ass local music.

The Owle Bird - The wind down to the evening at the Tranzac, a lovely little place with many rooms and people and characters. The Owle Bird played there monthly last year and have a CD release coming soon which is great because their melancholy tunes find every dissonant chord, waverly percussive moment and poignant string line that you ever wanted.

Luckily, both shows were PWYC which means that I now have no more change/money of any sort because I lost my bank card again. That's my 2nd one in a week. Balls.

On a side note, if you've seen my bank card (BMO), drivers license or Mastercard let me know. Don't call me though, cause I can't find my cell phone either.

No comments: